Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Zoom H4 digital recorder (audio)



Just bought a Zoom H4 4 track stereo field recorder to replace my old Sony BP150 recorders.

When doing pre-interviews, (for a documentary) it's a good idea to use the best microphone and recorder you can afford. That way, if you need to use the sound later in your sound track, you have it.

The Zoom H4 records at several resolutions, including 44.1 Khz (CD-quality), 48 Khz (DV soundtracks) and 96 Khz (high resolution.)

The Zoom has outstanding built-in microphones. It also enables me to use my professional lavaliere and shotgun mics via two XLR connectors.

The Zoom feels a bit large in my hand, but it's still only 1/4 the size of the old Radio Shack cassette recorder that I used years ago. I bought a 2 gig SD card, so I've got oodles of memory space.

Note to self: Add more about audio to Digital Video Secrets.

Oct. 24, 2008 note to self: Check out new Zoom H2. Looks much easier to use.

No comments: