Saturday, March 8, 2008

Memorization

I have to memorize a 44 page script in the next 5 weeks.

Memorization is not respected in our culture, nor are the techniques taught. At one point in history, learning how to use memory was an essential part of every educated person's repertoire of skills.

It's clear to me that some sort of memory techniques are essential, i.e. the ones described in Lorayne and Lucas's The Memory Book.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck with learning the script the hard way. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

I go a page at a time. I read 2 lines and repeat them until I remember them. When I remember them I add another 2, until I have the entire page memorized. When the entire page is memorized, I close the book and deliver my lines--without inflection--into a recorder. When I have the page down, I repeat again, adding inflection and "spirit."

When this crunch is over, and I have time, I plan to learn memory techniques.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Great post. I agree that you will need somekind of
memory technique to remember things. I came across one website recently, and it it pretty useful. It is at www.photographic-memory.org.