Seth Godin recently wrote about the power of doing one marketing thing a day. It is a brilliant list of things any author could do. Here is Godin’s post in full. At the end of the post, I have added a few more ideas for nonfiction authors.
There are at least 200 working days a year. If you commit to doing a simple marketing item just once each day, at the end of the year you've built a mountain. Here are some things you might try (don't do them all, just one of these once a day would change things for you):
- Send a handwritten and personal thank you note to a customer
- Write a blog post about how someone is using your product or service
- Research and post a short article about how something in your industry works
- Introduce one colleague to another in a significant way that benefits both of them
- Read the first three chapters of a business or other how-to book
- Record a video that teaches your customers how to do something
- Teach at least one of your employees a new skill
- Go for a ten minute walk and come back with at least five written ideas on how to improve what you offer the world
- Change something on your website and record how it changes interactions
- Help a non-profit in a significant way (make a fundraising call, do outreach)
- Write or substantially edit a Wikipedia article
- Find out something you didn't know about one of your employees or customers or co-workers
A few more ideas for nonfiction authors:
- Write a powerful 300 word bio
- Hire a professional photographer to take three good photographs of you.
- Pitch an idea for a blog post to the Huffington Post about the subject of your book
- Make a three minute video of the subject of your book and post it on YouTube.
- Make a list of the top 50 blogs in your field.
- Read and comment on one of the top blogs in your field
- Offer to guest-post on a top blog in your field
- Send a copy of your book to one of the top blogs, and ask for a review
- Review a colleague’s book on Amazon
- Offer to speak to a college class
- Offer to speak at a local bookstore
- Suggest friends for a colleague on Facebook using the "Suggest Friends" button
What worked for you? Can you add to this list?