Saturday, June 16, 2012

why carry your books to the Amazon basin?


I am in Lima Peru this morning, on my way to the Amazon basin for two weeks of research on a personal project.

I normally carry copies of my books when I travel. This time, before leaving home I thought... "Get real. The Amazon? Who's going to want a copy of Digital Video Secrets in a dugout canoe?"

The first morning of my trip is a stopover in Lima. I go to the local Starbucks for a Cafe Americano Venti. A woman stands next to me, filming her friends. I politely offer to shoot so she can be in the picture with them. The young guy sitting behind me equally politely explains they are shooting a film! 

It's a small crew of four shooting a doc. Complete with shot list.

I tell them i write books about film, and give them my card. I ask the director to email me details of their film and I wish them well. Then I let them get on with their work.

If there is a moral to this story i guess it is always bring cards, and at least one or two of your books when you travel. Even down the Amazon.

The worldwide hunger for film knowledge, and the reach of the traditional book publishing and distribution system is astonishing. The day before I left for Peru, I was at home exchanging emails with a reader in Tanzania!

No comments: