Sunday, June 3, 2012

media in the waiting room


The other day I found myself sitting in a hospital waiting room. There were old magazines on a table and a flat screen television on the wall playing the crime show CSI.

I was reading a book I brought with me, Michael Hyatt's book on social media, Platform.

As I read, I was suddenly struck by the difference in tone between the messages I was reading in the book and the messages I was seeing on the screen.

The book was about generosity, honesty and patience. The screen was about fear, violence, and death.

Successful mass media aims for the the lowest common denominator: the lizard brain and the mob. Successful social media aims for an individual.

When reading or watching any media, it is useful to stop occasionally and ask: Who was this crafted for? And why?

No comments: