Monday, August 10, 2009

HD Video Camera for documentaries




The new HM100 HD camcorder from JVC is a winner. 

In the past I've shied away from JVC products because of lingering quality control problems. With the HM100, JVC has overcome these problems. The camera is well-built, balanced in the hand, and easy to use. The image is great, the controls are well placed, and the included microphone captures good quality sound. 

The camera records native FinalCut Pro files on inexpensive SD cards. After shooting, just plug the SD card into a laptop running FinalCut Pro 6.04 or above and start editing. 

If you are not using FinalCut Pro, the HM100 also records in standard MPEG4 format.

While I was in New Orleans, I used the HM100 to shoot some sample footage: low-light, bright daylight, soft daylight and interview.  As soon as I get back to my FinalCut Pro editing system,  I'll post a few samples.

No comments: