Monday, April 5, 2010

status of film distribution and promotion article

I have done an enormous amount of research on this article, and yet I am still anxious about it.

The film distribution business is in chaos. The old model doesn't work.

The people hit worst by the chaos are the people for whom I write, DIY micro-budget filmmakers. It's a safe bet that a) they won't find a distributor. b) if they *do* find a distributor, they will never see a penny and their films will be promoted poorly... if at all.

As one filmmaker who makes ultra-low-budget films told me, "I sell 30 DVDs on my website at $30 each, and people say '$900, that's pretty good.' But it took me 500 hours to make that film."

So far I've read dozens of blogs, magazines, and articles and listened to several people speak about the state of distribution. I've read 5 books, attended two seminars, interviewed three filmmakers, and written about 50 pages of single spaced notes. I've studied DIY marketing and promotion for artists, writers and filmmakers for two years...

And I still don't have a hook for the article.

This is one of those times that I envy people with journalism degrees. People who have been trained to find the compelling story in an avalanche of information.

Time for the second cup of coffee.

3 comments:

Sheri C said...

what exactly are you looking for? the new model to follow? There are some success stories, in fact I am compiling a few myself just to show filmmakers that it isn't all doom and gloom. It is just hard work, tenacity and a good team.

Tony said...

Hi Sheri,
I need success stories for the article. I have many of the basics of "what to do and how to do it..." But would like to show examples of how things worked in the real world.

Tony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.