Friday, December 21, 2007

Very busy--no time to post

Very busy working on the camera book. No time to post.

Am struggling with The Office Situation. My home office is unavailable right now, and I am trying to rent a temporary spot. I have previously written in rented rooms, empty sheds, vacation houses, libraries and coffee shops.

Like many writers, I am most productive when working away from home. I'm so easily distracted and have a very bad record of being productive at home. When I'm at home, I always seem to stop writing to do something important... like fix the dripping faucet, walk the dog, do the budget, stack firewood, or visit the kitchen for a snack.

It always surprises me how hard it is to find a reasonably priced room for a 2-3 month rental while I finish a book. As soon as the landlord hears the word "writer" the deal seems to go south. Despite the fact that I have cash in hand, and am ready to pay in advance.

Have had this happen several times now. I think people get fearful, and start worrying about what you are doing, *exactly.* (Sitting there all day looking at a computer? Got to be something weird about that.)

One landlord even made a point of walking in on me unexpectedly and looking over my shoulder to see what I was doing. Maybe this is an artifact of living in a semi-rural area. I don't understand it.

No comments: